JAPANESE DRAG QUEENS, FETISH WRESTLING, MASKS, CUSTOM VAMPIRE FANGS: INSIDE DEPARTMENT H TOKYO ALTERNATIVE PARTY.

Japanese fetish party, bondage Goth S&M fashion, flogging and domination show, mistresses, strangest weird Japanese sexual fashion, vampire fangs, drag queens Japan, Tokyo fetish men in masks, Department H club night event

My first NYC signing for Cute Yummy Time went so well that the store invited me back! I hope you can come say hi and sample delicious kawaii treats on HALLOWEEN.

La Carmina: Cute Yummy Time book signing and demo
October 31, 2-4pm, Broadway Panhandler, 65 E 8th St, NYC

Now let’s go inside the Department H party with my friends and the Bizarre World cameraman. The party welcomes nudity, fetishes and alternative sexuality — but I think creative, personal expression is the best term to describe the scene.

The two-floor Kinema Club had stations where you could sign up for hook suspension, or extreme piercings, or get custom-fit vampire fangs… After a happy parade of Japanese drag queens, there was a succession performances that were the definition of random. As in a bandaged-faced vocalist swinging around a fake wrecking ball while three people dressed as prisoners danced out-of-sync and sang off-key…

Half-naked wrestling with rules that made no sense…

S&M suspension show involving an alien… (more on this tomorrow!)

The man on the right intrigued us. Why the bandage on the lower back? Why the purposefully lopsided undies?

I attend fetish/alt events and never hide the fact that I take part in this subculture… and I try to present it in a fair and open light. Parties such as Department H are safe, non-judgmental spaces. We had a fantastic time that night, and I highly recommend the experience to Tokyo visitors. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask me. :)

Song of the Day #221: Amanda Palmer – Leeds United (Love her voice, her style, her rants on her blog and Twitter.)

1. Posted October 20, 2009 at 1:54 am | Permalink

poking for a bit~ thxs for the heads up. i always wanted to go to a fetish party someday. seems real interesting. fill in for us more!

cheers~

2. Posted October 20, 2009 at 2:37 am | Permalink

What happens in Tokyo over Christmas and New Year's? I'm going back. I had to!!! Any good suggestions for celebrating the two holidays in Tokyooo? ^_^

– So people walk around naked in that club, or…?

3. Posted October 20, 2009 at 2:43 am | Permalink

my gawd. the drag queen pics were very entertaining!

4. Posted October 20, 2009 at 8:54 am | Permalink

cheers~

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll have even more exciting photos up tomorrow! My friends and I were SO excited to be at this party — it was a visual feast and we couldn’t stop smiling.

5. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:37 am | Permalink

What happens in Tokyo over Christmas and New Year’s? I’m going back. I had to!!! Any good suggestions for celebrating the two holidays in Tokyooo? ^_^

– So people walk around naked in that club, or…?

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

AUGH I’m in Tokyo just before New Years! Email me — we can meet up.
      There is a Midnight Mess on Dec 26 (you MUST go), a Tokyo Decadance new years party I believe, and a Dix Inferno concert on Dec 30.

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

And yeah, people walk around naked… mostly men with masks and parts hanging out…. but they don’t bother other people and everyone is chill with it!

6. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:43 am | Permalink

my gawd. the drag queen pics were very entertaining!

7. Posted October 20, 2009 at 6:52 am | Permalink

lol, purposely lopsided undies!

8. Posted October 20, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

lol, purposely lopsided undies!

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Yeah! I am so intrigued… why, how??

9. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:49 am | Permalink

O0o0h!! I wanna go here!! I think I would enjoy places like this (I love S&M as well… the wrestling part made me laugh though lol)! Seriously, those people look like they fucking rock haha
    The guy with his arsecheek hanging out made me lol hard. It just looks so funny to wear your underwear like that xD I bet he did it for teh lulz

10. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I'll have even more exciting photos up tomorrow! My friends and I were SO excited to be at this party — it was a visual feast and we couldn't stop smiling.

11. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Yeah it was so much fun! I love the sense of humor and creativity found at this party.

12. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:56 am | Permalink

AUGH I'm in Tokyo just before New Years! Email me — we can meet up.

13. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:56 am | Permalink

And yeah, people walk around naked… mostly men with masks and parts hanging out…. but they don't bother other people and everyone is chill with it!

14. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Yeah! I am so intrigued… why, how??

15. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Yeah haha and btw, naked wrestling matches ftw

16. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:22 am | Permalink

oh wow lol very interesting haha i want to go to that wrestling match lol to watch only not to fight

17. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Hahah yeah it was fun to watch, but I agree — I wouldn't want to participate.

18. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:54 am | Permalink

A few months ago, we did a story on a fetish event in LA and I actually thought the crowd was more polite than what you would find at a mainstream event. There are a lot of misconceptions about the scene, so I appreciate your posting about it.

19. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Well if the bandage and the lopsided undies aren't weird enough…. why blue? xD

20. Posted October 20, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Definitely. I've always had positive, welcoming experiences at fetish events in the west and Japan. Not all of the activities are for me, but I appreciate that there's a space for open expression.

21. Posted October 20, 2009 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Haha, I wonder! It's a cheerful color, for sure.

22. Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Yeah haha and btw, naked wrestling matches ftw

23. Posted October 20, 2009 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Hahah yeah it was fun to watch, but I agree — I wouldn’t want to participate.

24. Posted October 20, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Definitely. I’ve always had positive, welcoming experiences at fetish events in the west and Japan. Not all of the activities are for me, but I appreciate that there’s a space for open expression.

25. Posted October 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Well if the bandage and the lopsided undies aren’t weird enough…. why blue? xD

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Haha, I wonder! It’s a cheerful color, for sure.

26. Posted October 20, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

The draq queen in the S&M suspension picture looks familiar!

27. Posted October 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

thats ah-mah-zing i soo wanna go
    kinda jealous rite now, cause mii firend iz goin ta Japan, n im gonna murder him n his sleep n take his ticket Mwahahaha…wait did i say dat out loud?…oops teehee lolz
    of course i hav ppl dat wuld frown upon dis activity, but who's gotta no? lolz
    n im proud of mii “interest” who says i gotta hide em eh?

28. Posted October 20, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

The draq queen in the S&M suspension picture looks familiar!

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

The one doing the flogging? It’s actually a woman, hahaha! She’s a Japanese mistress (I don’t know her personally).

29. Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Hahah! This made me LOL…

30. Posted October 20, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

The one doing the flogging? It's actually a woman, hahaha! She's a Japanese mistress (I don't know her personally).

31. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

thats ah-mah-zing i soo wanna go
    of course i hav ppl dat wuld frown upon dis activity, but who’s gotta no? lolz
    n im proud of mii “interest” who says i gotta hide em eh?

• Posted October 20, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Hahah! This made me LOL…

32. Posted October 20, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

haha that would be so fun, but no actual participation from me though! lol

33. Posted October 21, 2009 at 2:54 am | Permalink

haha that would be so fun, but no actual participation from me though! lol

34. Posted October 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

The costume with the plastic baby heads is insane

35. Posted October 21, 2009 at 5:03 am | Permalink

The costume with the plastic baby heads is insane

• Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Yeah!! It might inspire one of my many costumes this year..

36. Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:19 am | Permalink

This looks like crazy fun :)

37. Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

This looks like crazy fun :)

• Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

We were smiling the entire time!

38. Posted October 21, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink

awww I love these sorts of scenes :)

39. Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Yeah!! It might inspire one of my many costumes this year..

40. Posted October 21, 2009 at 9:04 am | Permalink

We were smiling the entire time!

41. Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

awww I love these sorts of scenes :)

42. Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

This is so great, haha. That bandage looks more like a cooling pad; I don't know if you actually liv in Japan or not, but people wear those all the time when they have pain (lower back, arms, wherever really…). Maybe you already know that and are just making jokes – who knows? Interesting blog for sure.

43. Posted October 22, 2009 at 2:27 am | Permalink

This is so great, haha. That bandage looks more like a cooling pad; I don’t know if you actually liv in Japan or not, but people wear those all the time when they have pain (lower back, arms, wherever really…). Maybe you already know that and are just making jokes – who knows? Interesting blog for sure.

• Posted October 22, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Hahah I remember some ridiculous stick-on cooling pads… so funny!

44. Posted October 22, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Hahah I remember some ridiculous stick-on cooling pads… so funny!

45. Posted October 24, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

where can i find dates and map??

46. Posted October 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

There is a Department H website! http://www.dept-h.com/

47. Posted October 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

where can i find dates and map??

48. Posted October 24, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

where can i find dates and map??

49. Posted October 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

There is a Department H website! http://www.dept-h.com/

50. Posted June 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Do you have any info on November/December 2012 Department H parties? The link below doesn’t work. Thanks!

• Posted June 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

They are the first Sunday of every month at Kinema Club :)

51. Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:56 am | Permalink

I love to go. Truly adventurous and thrilling something I always wanted to explore. Anyone going in June 2013?

52. Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:57 am | Permalink