VERSAILLES & HIZAKI GRACE PROJECT: VISUAL KEI BANDS, J-ROCK MUSIC PLAYLIST.

Hizaki, guitarist of Versailles, visual kei j-rock band from Tokyo, Japan. Visual kei stage outfits, fashion and hair. Japanese music and live concert photos, CD covers and flyers.

I’m jetlagged and in the midst of a writing frenzy, Basil Farrow is snoozing on my bed, and Visual Kei J-rock/metal is blasting from my computer speakers. Do you like to work while listening to music? My answer is most certainly yes. Writing isn’t a mystical process that requires log cabin solitude – at least not for me. I like banging on the keyboard while Yuki does the same on drums.

Here’s my current playlist: a combination of Versailles -Philharmonic Quintet- and Hizaki Grace Project (the solo work of the band’s skirt-sporting guitarist). Ah, what a treat it was to see Versailles perform live in Shibuya last month! It’s hard to believe that the group only got together in 2007. The Visual Kei genre will be batting its feathered eyelashes for some time yet…

Can you recommend some other Visual Kei playlists, podcasts, or streams? What are your favorite VK artists?

1. Posted November 22, 2008 at 1:44 am | Permalink

My favourite VK bands are probably An Cafe, girugamesh, Kagrra, Mucc, Nightmare and Blam Honey :3 At least, those are the one's I'm sure are Visual Kei, haha. X_X I listen to so many Japanese bands it's tough to choose just a few that fit under VK~

2. Posted November 22, 2008 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Haha I know – it's hard to say sometimes! Thanks for the recs!

3. Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:44 am | Permalink

My favourite VK bands are probably An Cafe, girugamesh, Kagrra, Mucc, Nightmare and Blam Honey :3 At least, those are the one’s I’m sure are Visual Kei, haha. X_X I listen to so many Japanese bands it’s tough to choose just a few that fit under VK~

• Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Haha I know – it’s hard to say sometimes! Thanks for the recs!

4. Posted November 22, 2008 at 5:46 am | Permalink

one of my fave J-rock bands are Maximum the Hormone and Miyavi

5. Posted November 22, 2008 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Ahh! I went all the way to Odaiba to see Maximum the Hormone… and it was sold out!

6. Posted November 22, 2008 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

one of my fave J-rock bands are Maximum the Hormone and Miyavi

• Posted November 22, 2008 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 4:12 am | Permalink

awwwwwwwwwwwww

*hugz* there there its ok. . .

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Aww thanks – that’s so cute! I’m really excited about how this book is shaping out… there are a lot of J-Goth and Gothic Lolita stories in there. I’m sure you’ll love it!

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 4:18 am | Permalink

cant wait to see it ^_^

7. Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Yay, Versailles/Hizaki Grace Project! I love them…For a very different combination of styles, I like to listen to Versailles mixed with Közi!
    …but my all-time favorite group is Malice Mizer.

8. Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Versailles performed at AUSA!! I got their CD with their signatures!! ^___^ Favorite VK bands must include: Dir En Grey, The Gazette, Alice Nine, Nightmare, An Cafe, Luna Sea, D'espairs Ray, Malice Mizer…the list goes on forever. I highly recommend the first 3 I listed!

9. Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:32 am | Permalink

^__^!!!
    Big fans of the bands on your list.

10. Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:33 am | Permalink

^__^!!! Heart the bands on your list.

11. Posted November 22, 2008 at 11:26 am | Permalink

A great VK band is The Piass
    They've actually been around for a whiilleeeee.
    But of course, I love Mana-sama to death
    So I have to say Moi dix Mois is amazing too
    (although everyone knows about them)

<333

12. Posted November 22, 2008 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Ooh, I haven't heard of The Piass – I've got to check that out :)

13. Posted November 22, 2008 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

…but my all-time favorite group is Malice Mizer.

14. Posted November 22, 2008 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Personnally, I my favorite Visual Kei artist is Kaya (which used to hang around with Versailles and Juka for some tour and a kind of musical they did together called Node of Scherzo). I also really liked Schwarz Stein (in which Kaya sang), but they disbanded in 2004 ;.;. I'll try to make my description short XD;; So he's now a solo artist, crossdressing as Hizaki and Jasmine You do, he base his songs on beauty, aesthetism and androgyny. His music is mostly composed by Hora (ex-Schwarz Stein) and Kalm (ex-Velvet Eden, http://www.myspace.com/seaofcat) but Hizaki composed a song for him too (Carmilla) http://www.myspace.com/kayaofficial
    I like BLOOD pretty much too, but they just annouced they're disbandment è_é… http://www.myspace.com/bloodofficial
    And I think Aural Vampire is pretty awesome too ♥ I think you mentioned them in a previous entry =o http://www.myspace.com/auralvampire (and Exo-Chika is wearing a really pretty h.Naoto dress on their display picture *.*)
    Oh and I have to mention Aikaryu, which is Teru's (Versailles' second guitarist) previous band. They had an original sound with different inspiration (as pirates for Susume Pirates ! or The Addams Family for Vampire de manpa ya…) though, they're not as “soft” as many actual VK bands….
    I really like Blam Honey too, but their music is noisy and quite experimental… The band has released nothing for the past few years because, Tatsuya, the sing, deceased in 2004… But Ryonai said he will bring back the band to life soon =) http://www.myspace.com/blamhoneyoffical2 and Ryonai's http://www.myspace.com/ryonaisama
    Oh ! I almost forgot to talk about Seileen ! I really like Selia's counter tenor voice and SiSeN's music together <33 http://www.myspace.com/seliasisen

15. Posted November 22, 2008 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hey – we have really similar taste in music! I haven't heard Aikaryu – I really need to investigate that.

And Seileen is amazing… Selia is a tremendous live performer! I posted some photos and wrote about it here: http://www. carmenyuen. com/blog/post/index/331/TOKYO-DARK-CASTLE-AURAL-VAMPIRE-TAKUYA-ANGEL-SISEN-CHIHIRO-GOTH-EBM

xoxo

16. Posted November 22, 2008 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I love Versailles! They're amazing~
    I would recommend MANNEQUIN. They're relatively new, but they're really good.
    And all the other bands I would have named have already been listed :3

17. Posted November 22, 2008 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Versailles performed at AUSA!! I got their CD with their signatures!! ^___^ Favorite VK bands must include: Dir En Grey, The Gazette, Alice Nine, Nightmare, An Cafe, Luna Sea, D’espairs Ray, Malice Mizer…the list goes on forever. I highly recommend the first 3 I listed!

• Posted November 22, 2008 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

^__^!!!
      Big fans of the bands on your list.

• Posted November 22, 2008 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

^__^!!! Heart the bands on your list.

18. Posted November 22, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Aaaah yeah, I've seen this, actually x)
    I've such a bad memory xD

19. Posted November 22, 2008 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

A great VK band is The Piass
    They’ve actually been around for a whiilleeeee.
    But of course, I love Mana-sama to death
    So I have to say Moi dix Mois is amazing too
    (although everyone knows about them)

<333

• Posted November 22, 2008 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Ooh, I haven’t heard of The Piass – I’ve got to check that out :)

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 3:48 am | Permalink

You really should there amazing.
        A good Jpopish band, well musician is Kanon Wakeshima.
        She has an amaizing voice.
        And shes a hella cute loli
        Alsoooo Olivia inspi’ Reira is awesome too
        (lol I could go on for hours giving you new music)

<333

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 3:49 am | Permalink

Currently listening to PIASS on Dustin & Jenea’s playlist! Loving it!

I saw Kanon perform at the Marui Individual Fashion Expo. What a talent. ^_^_

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Like the sounds,has that warm feeling inside,can you name off some dark bands,bc I would love for you to go on for hours,I really want to know more about these kind of bands,thx

20. Posted November 22, 2008 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

thankyou for uploading tis streamer thing >.<

first time ive listened to Visual Kei
    I'm finding it very soothing ^^

shame I can't sing along :(

21. Posted November 22, 2008 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Oh I'm glad you like it! You can hear more Visual Kei on this playlist: http://www.carmenyuen.com/blog/post/index/90/GO

Malice Mizer and Moi-dix-Mois!

22. Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Hey – we have really similar taste in music! I haven’t heard Aikaryu – I really need to investigate that.

xoxo

• Posted November 22, 2008 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Aaaah yeah, I’ve seen this, actually x)
      I’ve such a bad memory xD

23. Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

I love Versailles! They’re amazing~
    I would recommend MANNEQUIN. They’re relatively new, but they’re really good.
    And all the other bands I would have named have already been listed :3

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Thanks for this :)

24. Posted November 22, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

WOW, I LOVE the sounds,I checked out everybody that princess mention and added them all and even created a playlist of all and more,I like to stay busy, :)
    Check it out or pass the word on to someone,Im all about the music,and if there are anymore bands, write them to me plzzz,bc I have no idea how to find out about bands from other countrys,unless it is word of mouth,like this situation,lol,love you all

25. Posted November 22, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I love this band! i currently have them on my playlist.

26. Posted November 22, 2008 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

That's awesome! Want to share the link to your playlist? :)

27. Posted November 22, 2008 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

versailles & Hizaki rocks my world !!!

28. Posted November 22, 2008 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

*Looks above at earlier comments* …damn. The others beat me to most of the bands I really like. But, there are some bands unmentioned too of course! *Cackle*

Since you like Versailles, then I'd highly recommend Matenrou Opera to you! They are in the same label as Versailles and are produced by Kamijo of Versailles too I think. They have a hard rock sound yet can do beautiful ballads. They all are talented muscicians and the band is relatively new!
    You've seen RENTRER EN SOI live, now how about listening to them on CD? This band is so talented, but it's such a shame they're disbanding in December… Please check them out, they are wonderful.
    Another relatively new indies band is 9 GOATS BLACK OUT, which has an insane guitarist in the band and extremely talented bassist and vocalist too. Although their new single was a little bit of a disappointment to me, their first album Devils in Bedside left me amazed!
    My last recommendation to you, if you're up to extremely slow tempos but heavy sound and dark atmosphere, is Lucy. They are also a sort of new band and their vocalist does some crazy, shivers-down-your-spine screams. The band works together to create a beautiful, dark world.

Sorry for the long post and do please check out all those indie bands (except for Renter en Soi that is) and keep up the good work! I love checking out this blog! :)

29. Posted November 22, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

http://www.playlist.com/user/18604975 this is my link for the playlist,I got most of them,but your has more,yay,Love all this music

30. Posted November 22, 2008 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

thankyou for uploading tis streamer thing >.<

first time ive listened to Visual Kei
    I'm finding it very soothing ^^

shame I can't sing along :(

31. Posted November 23, 2008 at 12:14 am | Permalink

• Posted November 23, 2008 at 12:14 am | Permalink

That’s awesome! Want to share the link to your playlist? :)

32. Posted November 23, 2008 at 12:14 am | Permalink

I love this band! i currently have them on my playlist.

33. Posted November 22, 2008 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

You really should there amazing.
    A good Jpopish band, well musician is Kanon Wakeshima.
    She has an amaizing voice.
    And shes a hella cute loli
    Alsoooo Olivia inspi' Reira is awesome too
    (lol I could go on for hours giving you new music)

<333

34. Posted November 22, 2008 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Currently listening to PIASS on Dustin & Jenea's playlist! Loving it!

I saw Kanon perform at the Marui Individual Fashion Expo. What a talent. ^_^_

35. Posted November 23, 2008 at 12:53 am | Permalink

versailles & Hizaki rocks my world !!!

36. Posted November 22, 2008 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

awwwwwwwwwwwww

*hugz* there there its ok. . .

37. Posted November 22, 2008 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Aww thanks – that's so cute! I'm really excited about how this book is shaping out… there are a lot of J-Goth and Gothic Lolita stories in there. I'm sure you'll love it!

38. Posted November 22, 2008 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

cant wait to see it ^_^

39. Posted November 23, 2008 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Since you like Versailles, then I’d highly recommend Matenrou Opera to you! They are in the same label as Versailles and are produced by Kamijo of Versailles too I think. They have a hard rock sound yet can do beautiful ballads. They all are talented muscicians and the band is relatively new!
    You’ve seen RENTRER EN SOI live, now how about listening to them on CD? This band is so talented, but it’s such a shame they’re disbanding in December… Please check them out, they are wonderful.
    My last recommendation to you, if you’re up to extremely slow tempos but heavy sound and dark atmosphere, is Lucy. They are also a sort of new band and their vocalist does some crazy, shivers-down-your-spine screams. The band works together to create a beautiful, dark world.

40. Posted November 23, 2008 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Thanks for this :)

41. Posted November 23, 2008 at 11:50 am | Permalink

42. Posted November 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Did you really see her.
    Oh wow luuckky!!
    Do you have any pictures or anything

<333

43. Posted November 23, 2008 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Sadly, I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside the Marui Expo (I was too far to take good shots, anyway). I did a review of the show, if you missed it: http://www.carmenyuen.com/blog/post/index/307/G

44. Posted November 23, 2008 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Ah, I'm so glad that you are getting into Versailles. I think they're the epitome of elegant, over-the-top Visual Kei, and they are definitely worth getting into. They're latest costumes were designed by Baby the Stars Shine Bright and Alice and the Pirates!! ^o^ They never looked better… I'd love to see what you have to say about them! ^^

45. Posted November 24, 2008 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Ah, I’m so glad that you are getting into Versailles. I think they’re the epitome of elegant, over-the-top Visual Kei, and they are definitely worth getting into. They’re latest costumes were designed by Baby the Stars Shine Bright and Alice and the Pirates!! ^o^ They never looked better… I’d love to see what you have to say about them! ^^

46. Posted November 24, 2008 at 12:16 pm | Permalink