TOKYO STREET STYLE AND ITALO DISCO WEEK! HARAJUKU AND MARUI ONE LOLITA CLOTHING SNAPS.

Christon Cafe in Shibuya, Japanese Goth Vampire style. Elegant kodona and ouji, dandy fashion in Harajuku. Tokyo Goth clothing, elegant rococo and Victorian fashion.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the blog’s first themed week of 2009! Last year, I dedicated a seven-day series of posts to the Rococo era, Interior Design, and Books (with a clothing giveaway at the end). This time, we’re going for a double whammy: I hereby declare that this shall be Street Style / Italo Disco Week! I’ll be bringing you snaps of Tokyo’s wildest street fashion, followed by an 80s-space-disco-synth Song of the Day.

Let’s get started with Style Arena. Launched in 2002 by the Japan Fashion Association, the website’s goal is “to spread and share Japan’s dynamic fashion-culture and life view to Asia and the rest of the world.” My favorite section is Tokyo New Tribe, which classifies looks by theme and even provides a color chart.

Sweet Lolita Japanese girls in MaruiOne Shinjuku department store. Ama loli and classical lolita clothes, pretty girly dresses with cute kawaii prints.

The girls on the “Lolita Fashion” page were snapped on the eighth floor of MaruiOne Shinjuku (which you may recognize from my store photos). The write-up describes the influence of cute, girly DC (Designers & Characters) brands from the mid-1980s: Pink House, Atsuki Onishi, Hiromichi Nakano. Today’s Lolita brands are linked by several common features: “kawaii (cute), good quality and keeping us interested for long time.” I can agree with that!

Gothic Lolita clothes, dark elegant Japanese fashion. EGL Mana Sama lolita fashion, moi meme moitie. Marui Fashion Expo.

I wasn’t the only one taking photos of Gothic and Lolita girls outside JCB Hall (at the Marui Fashion Expo). The website describes the influence of Mana, whose outfits “combined both elegance and dark mysterious aspects.”

Cute Japanese maids in Tokyo, Japan. Kawaii Akihabara maid fashion, cosplay meido outfits and costumes. Maid cafes, handing out flyers on streets.

Before you start typing an “thou art an ignoramus” comment – no, I realize these girls are not wearing Lolita. It’s Akihabara maid style; the short skirts and disposable materials place the outfits squarely under cosplay. I included these photos so that you can play “spot the differences” with Lolita – and because they’re charming nonetheless.

Which tribe would you fall under? More reports to come all week, and you can visit Style Arena for hundreds of Tokyo street snaps. Til then, I’ll share an Italo Disco track I’ve been obsessing over…

Song of the Day #30: Noa Noa – Harry O’ (1983)

1. Posted January 19, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I look at Style Arena quite a bit but had never seen this section..strange.
    Looking now my favourite style/sections are probably goth+mode, gothic lolita, fairy-kei and hime.

2. Posted January 19, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Fairy-kei is adorable – I love the color-stained hair.

3. Posted January 19, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I was wondering on a kind of seperate note, do you ever do sweet loli yourself? I am not a huge fan but looking online it always seems to be the most popular style with english/american fans.

4. Posted January 19, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Never… it's not my vibe… but I try to put up Sweet Lolita photos on the blog regularly. ;)

5. Posted January 19, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

hehe i think the blocks great XD i want all them garments haha XDD

6. Posted January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

I look at Style Arena quite a bit but had never seen this section..strange.

• Posted January 19, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Fairy-kei is adorable – I love the color-stained hair.

• Posted January 19, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

• Posted January 19, 2009 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Never… it’s not my vibe… but I try to put up Sweet Lolita photos on the blog regularly. ;)

7. Posted January 19, 2009 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Do you know any other good resources about fairy kei? Thanks!

What do you think about princess kei?

8. Posted January 19, 2009 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Marui One's LiveJ Kera Snaps always have some great fairy-kei looks: http://livej.maruione.jp/content/blogcategory/1

Princess kei… depends. I like hime-lolita, but I'm a little afraid of the Jesus Diamante girls with bouffant hairdos, perfectly manicured nails and $1000 dresses covered in ribbons. I'm convinced that they're fem-bots, haha!

9. Posted January 19, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Style Arena is awesome! (big +++ for english :D)
    But like chelsea's comment, I've never seen the New Tribes section you mentioned.. 0_o

I like the 2nd picture in Koukama-Kei, her dress is so cute! ^_^
    I think visual kei is my favorite, because some of it is similar to J-Punk (like old vivienne westwood-ish! haha)

10. Posted January 20, 2009 at 1:05 am | Permalink

hehe i think the blocks great XD i want all them garments haha XDD

11. Posted January 20, 2009 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Do you know any other good resources about fairy kei? Thanks!

What do you think about princess kei?

• Posted January 20, 2009 at 3:41 am | Permalink

Marui One’s LiveJ Kera Snaps always have some great fairy-kei looks: http://livej.maruione.jp/content/blogcategory/1/7/lang,en/

Princess kei… depends. I like hime-lolita, but I’m a little afraid of the Jesus Diamante girls with bouffant hairdos, perfectly manicured nails and $1000 dresses covered in ribbons. I’m convinced that they’re fem-bots, haha!

• Posted January 21, 2009 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Thank you very much for the link!

Did you know that hime-kei girls in Ageha are not-fem bots but hostesses, haha? Looks like this style comes out of these clubs, and it seems to be more mainstream now than loli, because hime-gyaru like styles appear in many girls’ fashion mags, but I’m not really sure about it being mainstream or not… Have you seen many hime girls in the streets of Tokyo?

• Posted January 21, 2009 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Hahah there are a lot of done-up-to-the-nines hime-girls, especially in Shibuya. Sometimes, you’ll see them at the strangest places – like at Visual Kei concerts!

12. Posted January 20, 2009 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Style Arena is awesome! (big +++ for english :D)
    But like chelsea’s comment, I’ve never seen the New Tribes section you mentioned.. 0_o

I like the 2nd picture in Koukama-Kei, her dress is so cute! ^_^

13. Posted January 20, 2009 at 6:08 am | Permalink

Style Arena is a great site for street style straight from the source. I especially like the Tokyo shop style section where you can see the interiors of shops and salons.
    I just wish they'd update the new tribes section more often!

14. Posted January 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I just wish they’d update the new tribes section more often!

15. Posted January 20, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much for the link!

Did you know that hime-kei girls in Ageha are not-fem bots but hostesses, haha? Looks like this style comes out of these clubs, and it seems to be more mainstream now than loli, because hime-gyaru like styles appear in many girls' fashion mags, but I'm not really sure about it being mainstream or not… Have you seen many hime girls in the streets of Tokyo?

16. Posted January 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Hahah there are a lot of done-up-to-the-nines hime-girls, especially in Shibuya. Sometimes, you'll see them at the strangest places – like at Visual Kei concerts!

17. Posted January 21, 2009 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Thank you for this post. I’ve enjoyed it a lot! great looks here!
    As much as I like to hear about new sites I like to recommend about them too, so today I visited this cool t-shirts site. It has a lot of urban and street wear!

Amy

18. Posted January 21, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this post. I’ve enjoyed it a lot! great looks here!

Amy

19. Posted January 21, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Thou art an igno…nevermind! I would never say that! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest actually…

20. Posted January 21, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Hahah! I posted some more street snaps – and there's more to come all week!

21. Posted January 22, 2009 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Thou art an igno…nevermind! I would never say that! I’m looking forward to seeing the rest actually…

• Posted January 22, 2009 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Hahah! I posted some more street snaps – and there’s more to come all week!

22. Posted January 22, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

nice photos and gorgouse outfits!!!!!

23. Posted January 23, 2009 at 4:14 am | Permalink

nice photos and gorgouse outfits!!!!!

24. Posted January 23, 2009 at 4:14 am | Permalink

nice photos and gorgouse outfits!!!!!