J-POP CENTER OPENING AUGUST 2009 IN SAN FRANCISCO: JAPANESE FASHION BOUTIQUES, VIZ CINEMA.

J-pop Center San Francisco, New People World shopping complex building, Japanese fashion, anime and manga shops, stores, VIZ cinema.

San Francisco was always a hub for Japanese culture, and it’s soon going to be top stop in America for Harajuku fashion. New People World is counting down the days to the August opening of its J-Pop Center: an ultra-mod 20,000 sq. foot complex in Japantown (1746 Post St.) That’s three stories and a basement dedicated to J-pop culture… including several Lolita boutiques!

† Basement: The 143-seat VIZ Cinema – with “high-definition digital projection and THX®-certified sound” – will broadcast the best of Japanese cinema. Expect anime, samurai dramas, J-horror…

† First floor: Dedicated to two of my favorite victuals: coffee (Blue Bottle, a local roaster) and bentos (Delica rf-1). I wonder if the bentos will be cute? (PS – you can now pre-order Cute Yummy Time!)

† Main floor: The New People signature shop delivers “all that is kawaii, fun, fabulous and bizarre.” Everything from music, toys, clothing, books, DVDs, and limited edition products.

† Second floor: THIS is what we’ve been waiting for. Get ready for the US flagship boutiques of Baby the Stars Shine Bright, Alice and the Pirates, Black Peace Now, and 6% Doki Doki! (You can see photos of all these stores in my shopping guide.)

† Third floor: Superfrog Gallery will exhibit fun, modern artists (soon to be announced). I hope it’ll be as fantastic as Royal/T in LA!

Seiji Horibuchi, head of VIZ Media and Pictures, spearheaded the J-Pop Center project. His vision: “to foster the appreciation, preservation and exposure of Japanese pop culture and to connect the public with its creators.” Investment to date: $15 million. A promising sign that the US interest in J-pop culture will continue to spawn…

Song of the Day #127: Queens of the Stone Age – Another Love Song (I love the album, Songs for the Deaf.)

Filed Under Fashion, J-News

1. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:44 am | Permalink

I think my sister and I are having a road trip- I don't think I even care if my parents say no. We're having a roadtrip (San Franciso is only on the other side of the US- lol not nearly as far as Japan is~)

I think I've been spazing about this news for… for… 3 hours now.
    And I've done everything from squeeling to jumping up and down on the bed (which probably isn't the best thing to do at 5am… oh.. it's 6 now… uh…) to simply running around in small circles.

YES!!!! I'm kinda concerned that it'll be too small- this is going to be a HUGE thing, so many people are going to show up, I'm sure…
    But, maybe it's bigger then it looks~~~~~~

AHAHHALFKALKFJALKSDFJLKWEJTLI$#WJR$#U($# J

lolita clothes, you've come so close to me now!
    (now… saving up for the trip to San Francisco… then the clothes… ah… yes… money…)

2. Posted May 29, 2009 at 3:18 am | Permalink

omg omg XD i really hope england it next to get a japanese centre

3. Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I think my sister and I are having a road trip- I don’t think I even care if my parents say no. We’re having a roadtrip (San Franciso is only on the other side of the US- lol not nearly as far as Japan is~)

I think I’ve been spazing about this news for… for… 3 hours now.
    And I’ve done everything from squeeling to jumping up and down on the bed (which probably isn’t the best thing to do at 5am… oh.. it’s 6 now… uh…) to simply running around in small circles.

YES!!!! I’m kinda concerned that it’ll be too small- this is going to be a HUGE thing, so many people are going to show up, I’m sure…
    But, maybe it’s bigger then it looks~~~~~~

AHAHHALFKALKFJALKSDFJLKWEJTLI$#WJR$#U($# J

lolita clothes, you’ve come so close to me now!

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Hahah I always got in trouble for jumping on beds as a kid… and I’m not about to stop!!

San Francisco is a lovely place to visit for so many reasons. Make sure you save money for the delicious sushi!

4. Posted May 29, 2009 at 10:18 am | Permalink

omg omg XD i really hope england it next to get a japanese centre

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

London’s a pretty good hub for Lolita fashion as well, I think… count your blessings! ;)

5. Posted May 29, 2009 at 5:35 am | Permalink

Oh! It sounds really amazing =D

6. Posted May 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Oh! It sounds really amazing =D

7. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodd!!!!
    Im sooo taking a trip to Cali

8. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

ohhhhhhhhhh

9. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

oh my. i so wished i lived in Cali.

10. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

YES!!! Japantown had recently been remodeled, and it's kinda lacking… But now I'm going to be headed over there all the time!

Mwaha, I love living right next to SF. <3! =^-^=

11. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

O M G

12. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Will you be gracing the opening day with your presence? Anime Attic has been trying to wait so patiently! for the great day to come! Seems like we are always in j-town every couple months

13. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

OMG!
    and SF is so near from my city… well, not so near, i need to travel about 5 hours there but for BPN i would definitely go there!

14. Posted May 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

thanks 4 da updates, i was planning on taking a trip there next year! This works out perfectly! YAY!

15. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

i know,im so pumped about it since i live near S.F and it would prob take like 30 min to get there!!!!!=D wen i heard this news i like fainted and then started yelling in rejoice(idk if i spelled it rightXD)>.< im so totally gonna spend all my money on Alice and the Pirates and BSSB and everything else,i might going to HK and Japan this summer so im also really excited to go to the stores,its so close so maybe it will be less expensive then shipping in online?

16. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Hahah I always got in trouble for jumping on beds as a kid… and I'm not about to stop!!

17. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

London's a pretty good hub for Lolita fashion as well, I think… count your blessings! ;)

18. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Lucky duck! You'll have to give us a full report. :D

19. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Ahh I have no plans to yet… but you never know!

20. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

If you're in Tokyo, go to Closet Child – some of the prices on Lolita dresses are incredible.

21. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Take tons of pictures! :)

22. Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

So. Worth. It.

23. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodd!!!!
    Im sooo taking a trip to Cali

24. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

ohhhhhhhhhh

25. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

oh my. i so wished i lived in Cali.

26. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

YES!!! Japantown had recently been remodeled, and it’s kinda lacking… But now I’m going to be headed over there all the time!

Mwaha, I love living right next to SF. <3! =^-^=

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Lucky duck! You’ll have to give us a full report. :D

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I live like a half-hour drive from the city, so I’ll definitely be headed over there. I favorited the website to keep an eye on it, and I swear I’m going to be there the second they open it! lol

I’ll try to take lots of pictures and send them your way, with a mini-report attached. ^-^ But you should come check it out, too! At least when they’re having one of the Japantown faires (which they have a few a year). That way you can get pictures of all of us SF lolitas! lol

27. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

O M G

28. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Ahh I have no plans to yet… but you never know!

29. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

OMG!

30. Posted May 29, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Take tons of pictures! :)

31. Posted May 29, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

PS: someone at New People saw this blog post and sent me an email – they're so happy that you're pumped for the opening! You can expect more updates soon!

32. Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

• Posted May 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

HK and Japan – two of my favorite places to visit! Have you seen my HK shopping guide? Say hi to the Spider girls for me. :) https://www.lacarmina.com/blog/2008/01/hong-kong-gothic-lolita-stores-spider-dracula-baby-cupid/

If you’re in Tokyo, go to Closet Child – some of the prices on Lolita dresses are incredible.

• Posted June 9, 2009 at 5:07 am | Permalink

haha yeah,after reading ur “reviews” on Spider,i really wanted to go and my mom loves going to Mong Kok to shop so thats cool,maybe i can lure her to spider and baby cupid hehe
        Japan-I’m going(MIGHT BE) Hokkaido(meta!!!) and tokyo which will obviously “lead” me to Harajuku=P and isnt CLoset Child in Shinjuku? i hop ei get to go to OSaka 2(prob not haha) cuz theres GL/VK stuff there 2,plus,my fav band is gonna have a concert there heehee

• Posted June 9, 2009 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Nice! Mong Kok is my favorite shopping district.

• Posted June 10, 2009 at 2:19 am | Permalink

Closet Child has a Harajuku location on Takeshita Doori, but it’s currently being renovated. The Shinjuku one is open!

• Posted June 12, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

But do you think that I should go to Hong Kong+Japan(on a plane obviously) during the swine flu outbreak? Cuz my mom was booking them but then my relatives from my dad’s side said that you might get it if you’re sitting close to a person who does and it might get worse/better during July/August=(

• Posted June 12, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t worry too much about it… I think statistically, the incidence of swine flu isn’t so high that you should stop booking flights. You’re probably far more likely to get food poisoning or pneumonia, hahaha.

• Posted June 13, 2009 at 12:27 am | Permalink

lol thx x3 oh ya,just one more thing(srry^^”) are you (still) in Tokyo right now? Or are you back in Canada?=]

33. Posted May 29, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I live like a half-hour drive from the city, so I'll definitely be headed over there. I favorited the website to keep an eye on it, and I swear I'm going to be there the second they open it! lol

I'll try to take lots of pictures and send them your way, with a mini-report attached. ^-^ But you should come check it out, too! At least when they're having one of the Japantown faires (which they have a few a year). That way you can get pictures of all of us SF lolitas! lol

34. Posted May 29, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

ahhhh i'm so excited! no more ridiculous shipping fees!
    i guess moving to sf was a wise choice after all.

35. Posted May 29, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I want to go there!!!

36. Posted May 29, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

To die for that new shopping paradise!

37. Posted May 29, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Always a great place to be! Have you been to the bento place Delica rf-1 before? I hear there's another location at the SF Ferry Terminal.

38. Posted May 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

PS: someone at New People saw this blog post and sent me an email – they’re so happy that you’re pumped for the opening! You can expect more updates soon!

39. Posted May 30, 2009 at 12:26 am | Permalink

ahhhh i’m so excited! no more ridiculous shipping fees!
    i guess moving to sf was a wise choice after all.

• Posted May 30, 2009 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Always a great place to be! Have you been to the bento place Delica rf-1 before? I hear there’s another location at the SF Ferry Terminal.

• Posted May 30, 2009 at 2:59 am | Permalink

no, i have not. i don’t get out much ^.^;
        i’ve been eating sushi for 2 weeks now lol. my uncle owns 3 sushi bars. you can’t get sick of eating sushi.
        i’m looking forward to that gallery too! i started oil painting again and i’m taking it very seriously. hopefully i can exhibit my work once i finish!

40. Posted May 30, 2009 at 12:35 am | Permalink

I want to go there!!!

41. Posted May 30, 2009 at 12:35 am | Permalink

To die for that new shopping paradise!

42. Posted May 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

no, i have not. i don't get out much ^.^;
    i've been eating sushi for 2 weeks now lol. my uncle owns 3 sushi bars. you can't get sick of eating sushi.
    i'm looking forward to that gallery too! i started oil painting again and i'm taking it very seriously. hopefully i can exhibit my work once i finish!

43. Posted May 29, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

this is awesome, m'supposed to be visiting cali with muh girlfriend later in the year! we are so going, whether she likes it or not.

44. Posted May 30, 2009 at 6:47 am | Permalink

this is awesome, m’supposed to be visiting cali with muh girlfriend later in the year! we are so going, whether she likes it or not.

45. Posted May 30, 2009 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Too bad the car can't go that far… -__- My mom works in SF, so she goes there every week day… but not to that part of SF.. T__T Mannn I wanna gooo XD but there's still time ooooh *works on car*

46. Posted May 30, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Too bad the car can’t go that far… -__- My mom works in SF, so she goes there every week day… but not to that part of SF.. T__T Mannn I wanna gooo XD but there’s still time ooooh *works on car*

• Posted May 30, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Go go go go go!! If there’s a will, there’s a way!

47. Posted May 30, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

XD Maybe one of my friends will take me… I must make it there somehow! XDD

48. Posted May 30, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

XD Maybe one of my friends will take me… I must make it there somehow! XDD

49. Posted May 30, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

J-Pop center! :o :p. We're “oan it” heehee. ;)

50. Posted May 31, 2009 at 4:26 am | Permalink

J-Pop center! :o :p. We’re “oan it” heehee. ;)

51. Posted May 31, 2009 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Will Morning Musume be included in the music section?

52. Posted May 31, 2009 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I don't know for certain, but I would guess yes…. it seems that there will be a large selection of J-pop available, and MM is a popular choice!

53. Posted June 1, 2009 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Will Morning Musume be included in the music section?

• Posted June 1, 2009 at 5:17 am | Permalink

I don’t know for certain, but I would guess yes…. it seems that there will be a large selection of J-pop available, and MM is a popular choice!

54. Posted June 1, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Oh my god!! I have been waiting for the BSSB store forever!! I will probably be there every weekend now…yay!!

55. Posted June 1, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

BTSSB San Fran may still be looking for a store manager…… XD!

56. Posted June 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

• Posted June 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

BTSSB San Fran may still be looking for a store manager…… XD!

• Posted June 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

i wanna be the manger too….
        but i have school

57. Posted June 5, 2009 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Yay!!!!!!!!
    I live 1 hour away and it opens 4 days before my birthday that's where i'm going!!!!!!
    nyappy!!!!

58. Posted June 6, 2009 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Yay!!!!!!!!
    I live 1 hour away and it opens 4 days before my birthday that’s where i’m going!!!!!!
    nyappy!!!!

59. Posted June 7, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

i wanna be the manger too….
    but i have school

60. Posted June 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Japan-I'm going(MIGHT BE) Hokkaido(meta!!!) and tokyo which will obviously “lead” me to Harajuku=P and isnt CLoset Child in Shinjuku? i hop ei get to go to OSaka 2(prob not haha) cuz theres GL/VK stuff there 2,plus,my fav band is gonna have a concert there heehee

61. Posted June 9, 2009 at 2:19 am | Permalink

Nice! Mong Kok is my favorite shopping district.

62. Posted June 9, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Closet Child has a Harajuku location on Takeshita Doori, but it's currently being renovated. The Shinjuku one is open!

63. Posted June 12, 2009 at 10:50 am | Permalink

But do you think that I should go to Hong Kong+Japan(on a plane obviously) during the swine flu outbreak? Cuz my mom was booking them but then my relatives from my dad's side said that you might get it if you're sitting close to a person who does and it might get worse/better during July/August=(

64. Posted June 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I wouldn't worry too much about it… I think statistically, the incidence of swine flu isn't so high that you should stop booking flights. You're probably far more likely to get food poisoning or pneumonia, hahaha.

65. Posted June 12, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Permalink