LILAC, GURIGULA, UZUHI VISUAL KEI CONCERT, AMERICAN J-ROCK BANDS. J-SUMMIT AT NEW YORK WEBSTER HALL, J-POP MUSIC USA.

traditional okinawa band, Happy Fun Smile, Visual kei band LILAC, GURIGULA, UZUHI VISUAL KEI CONCERT, AMERICAN J-ROCK groups performing live, J-SUMMIT AT NEW YORK WEBSTER HALL, J-POP MUSIC USA, Japanese culture and Jrock NYC events

Confession. After seeing legendary Visual Kei bands in Tokyo — Versailles, Moi dix Mois, Gackt — I doubted that an American J-rock concert could send shivers up my spine. But I went to the J-Summit at NYC’s Webster Hall with what they call a “positive attitude,” and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the live. (All photos by Shichi.)

I was expecting a full Visual Kei roster, but the first act was on the completely opposite spectrum. As in an Okinawa folk band in traditional costumes… hey, I still rocked out. The second group, Happy Fun Smile, was equally amusing: the lead singer belted hyper retro J-pop and forced the audience to dance in a circle. All together now: push-push, shovel-shovel!

Visual kei band LILAC lead singer guitarist Hitoshi, GURIGULA, UZUHI VISUAL KEI CONCERT, AMERICAN J-ROCK groups performing live, J-SUMMIT AT NEW YORK WEBSTER HALL, J-POP MUSIC USA, Japanese culture and Jrock NYC events

Then Lilac took over and put on a classic feedback-blitzing rock show. Singer/guitarist Hitoshi lit up the room with his stage presence (and literally, too, with his glowing devil horns). Lilac has been together less than a year, yet the trio has found a tight, hard rock sound that Shichi compares to Vamps.

The head-banging continued with the US debut of Japanese VK group Gurigula. In his review, Shichi writes: “This band had a retro sound with a modern aesthetic. That distinctive early 90s Visual Kei sound was alive and well here. Perhaps evolved, and slightly more tuned to modern tastes but you could definitely hear roots in bands like Luna Sea and Die in Cries.”

Visual kei concert photography, Cure magazine bands LILAC, GURIGULA, UZUHI VISUAL KEI CONCERT, AMERICAN J-ROCK groups performing live, J-SUMMIT AT NEW YORK WEBSTER HALL, J-POP MUSIC USA, Japanese culture and Jrock NYC events

We left before Uzuhi, but managed to catch the fashion show. Dorian Hellfire’s male J-rock clothes rocked and her teen models were too cute for words; I wanted to pack them in my bento box! I had a grand time at J-Summit, I truly did — and it seemed everyone around me did too.

I couldn’t agree more with Shichi’s sum-up: “People who don’t go to Japanese-American J-rock shows really are missing out […] It’s usually cheaper, and these groups really do care about the local scene and spend a great deal of time before and after sets interacting with fans. Some of these bands are really good too; I guarantee you won’t feel you’ve wasted your time and money if you went to say a Lilac or a [geist] or a Uzuhi show. I personally feel they are a lot better then some of the obscure Japanese bands the VK scene likes. If anything, these shows also end up being great social events. Support your scene! Come meet people!”

On that note, I’m always looking for new ways to open discussion and interact on this blog. What do you think of a new feature: daily musings and quotes? Below is the first installment; if it hits a nerve with you, please let me know your thoughts.

(PS: To comment, simply click on the Comments link on the bottom right of each post. You can comment as a Guest if you don’t want to sign up with Disqus. If you’re having trouble, shoot me an email or Tweet me.)

Musing of the Day #1: “Libertine” can be a positive word. Instead of “morally dissolute and depraved,” it can refer to someone who’s not bound by social morals, free to think and act for himself. Part of why I am drawn to the Gothic aesthetic/lifestyle is that it finds beauty in what’s feared: death, darkness. It turns norms on their heads; shows them to be paper tigers.

Song of the Day #243: Anything by Lilac at the NYC J-Summit! Here is a playlist of videos from the show.

1. Posted November 22, 2009 at 3:34 am | Permalink

I envy you~… So much! I wish that some VK bands would come to Australia *Whine* They look so amazing! I'm definitely going to go listen to their music now!

2. Posted November 22, 2009 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I envy you~… So much! I wish that some VK bands would come to Australia *Whine* They look so amazing! I’m definitely going to go listen to their music now!

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Blood often tours in Australia — they are great performers! I think since Japan is pretty close to Australia, there should be acts in town now and then… I’d say you’re lucky! :)

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Blood disbanded though I think

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Ah, where is my head?? I meant GPKISM!

3. Posted November 22, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

4. Posted November 22, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

5. Posted November 22, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I agree with your musing about being a libertine. I find it quite amazing that people are bound in their thinking by things that they claim “just are”, that “just have to be that way”. But you can ask “why?” to anything…you can philosophize about anything.

6. Posted November 22, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

omg ur so cool

7. Posted November 22, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I love discovering new stimulation … I am a true, reborn Libertine. (yes, @lacarmina … look at the latin root “libre” ) To be free.

8. Posted November 22, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

What a timely subject! I had the fantastic luck of seeing Dir en grey in concert last week here in Chicago – what a phenomenal experience. I'm still gushing about it!!! ^_^
    You're right, jrock/jpop musicians seem to make extra effort to connect with their fans, pouring their hearts into each performance.
    There is such strong support for visual kei and music from Japan in the US/Canada. I'm hoping we see more tours in 2010!!

9. Posted November 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Ah, my friend in NYC saw Dir en grey last week too and said it was phenomenal! With some exceptions, I also think there is far less distance and pretension among J-rockers (both from the US and Japan); I think they're excited to play US shows and meet supporters.

10. Posted November 22, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Love it!

11. Posted November 22, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Blood often tours in Australia — they are great performers! I think since Japan is pretty close to Australia, there should be acts in town now and then… I'd say you're lucky! :)

12. Posted November 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

13. Posted November 23, 2009 at 12:31 am | Permalink

omg ur so cool

14. Posted November 23, 2009 at 12:31 am | Permalink

15. Posted November 23, 2009 at 1:55 am | Permalink

What a timely subject! I had the fantastic luck of seeing Dir en grey in concert last week here in Chicago – what a phenomenal experience. I’m still gushing about it!!! ^_^
    You’re right, jrock/jpop musicians seem to make extra effort to connect with their fans, pouring their hearts into each performance.
    There is such strong support for visual kei and music from Japan in the US/Canada. I’m hoping we see more tours in 2010!!

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 2:34 am | Permalink

Ah, my friend in NYC saw Dir en grey last week too and said it was phenomenal! With some exceptions, I also think there is far less distance and pretension among J-rockers (both from the US and Japan); I think they’re excited to play US shows and meet supporters.

16. Posted November 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

I think it's a great Idea! It's always good to hear a few random tidbits of information, for all to muse over.

17. Posted November 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Awesome — I'll try this out!

18. Posted November 23, 2009 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I think it’s a great Idea! It’s always good to hear a few random tidbits of information, for all to muse over.

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 6:00 am | Permalink

Awesome — I’ll try this out!

19. Posted November 23, 2009 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Blood disbanded though I think

20. Posted November 23, 2009 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Ah, where is my head?? I meant GPKISM!

21. Posted November 23, 2009 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I like how my pics turned out with the new mini softbox for my flash.

22. Posted November 23, 2009 at 10:48 am | Permalink

These are some of the best pics on this blog!!

23. Posted November 23, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

You think so? I'm flattered, thank you. =D

24. Posted November 23, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I like how my pics turned out with the new mini softbox for my flash.

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

These are some of the best pics on this blog!!

• Posted November 23, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

You think so? I’m flattered, thank you. =D

25. Posted November 23, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Awesome!

26. Posted November 23, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Awesome!

27. Posted November 24, 2009 at 11:43 am | Permalink

thank you so much! i like it.
    we will post the link on our myspace with your name :)

28. Posted November 24, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

:D Awesome! Hope to catch the next show.

29. Posted November 24, 2009 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

thank you so much! i like it.
    we will post the link on our myspace with your name :)

• Posted November 24, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

:D Awesome! Hope to catch the next show.

30. Posted November 24, 2009 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

thank you so much! i like it.
    we will post the link on our myspace with your name :)

31. Posted November 24, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

:D Awesome! Hope to catch the next show.

32. Posted January 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

The popular New York Times had given a description of Taylor Swift as being amongst the finest lyricists that the country music arena had seen in several years.Here You can Purchase Cheap Taylor Swift Tickets and many others theater and concerts Tickets.

33. Posted March 11, 2010 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Lilac & Uzuhi are great local bands. Both Toshi and Gosha have this aura around them that attracts others. Gosha is a REALLY funny character. We interviewed Uzuhi yesterday and he really cracked us up with his sense of humor.

34. Posted March 11, 2010 at 4:03 am | Permalink

35. Posted March 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Awesome!! I hope I can see them perform again soon.

36. Posted March 12, 2010 at 12:02 am | Permalink

They will be at Poly Tech Spring Fest NY this Saturday in Brooklyn. Then they're going on tour for the rest of the month. They'll end the tour with a performance at Santos Party House NYC on April 2. If you like to listen to the interview with Uzuhi, you can check it out at: http://blog.samuraibeatradio.com/2010/03/10/pod

37. Posted July 7, 2010 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Tiffany not only explored the various jewelry processes of the time,Silver Tiffany but also branched out into new metals, such as platinum, Tiffany Jewelrywhich at the time was considered very hard to manipulate.Tiffany BraceletsIt seems to be the case that unusual colorations appealed to Tiffany, like the opal.Tiffany EarringsHe also preferred gemstones that were either opaque or translucent. Turquoise, jade,Tiffany Necklaces carnelian, lapis, moonstones, and opals were all chosen for their ability to filter light. Emphasis based on color was very prevalent in his works.

38. Posted July 8, 2010 at 8:19 am | Permalink

nThree sons left home, went out on their own and prospered.Replica Mulberry handbags Getting back together, they discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly Mother.Replica Prada handbags A biker was riding along a California beach when suddenly the sky clouded above his head and, in a booming voice, the Lord said, “Because you have TRIED to be faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you one wish.”Replica Valentino handbags The biker pulled over and said, “Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride over anytime I want.”So you want a day off huh? Well, let’s just take a look at what you’re asking for ok?