NEW YORK STEAMPUNK HAUNTED HOUSE: HALLOWEEN HORROR SHOW ART PERFORMANCE, HENRY STREET SETTLEMENT.

I wasn’t kidding when I said I celebrated Halloween for five days straight this year. On Day 1 (Oct 28), I was invited to check out the Steampunk Haunted House at Abrons Arts Center (Henry Street Settlement). A brilliant concept: building a fright-house with clockwork and gears.

“Hold onto me,” said my agent as we crept down a narrow, ominous hallway. BLAM: a ghoul in a gas mask ran after us, scraping a shovel against the wall so that sparks flew. In front of us: another gas-masked man in a vest and top hat, holding a lantern that went out — pitch black. Lights on, showing he had moved backward… Lights off, lights on and he was now standing behind us!

building steampunk accessories and decorations, brass eyepiece, goggles glasses clockwork gears, handmade Steampunk Haunted House at Henry Street Settlement, victorian goth creative art performance, theater in new york city, Halloween events in NYC, steampunk costumes and outfits for rent, scary horror show installation

As we ran deeper into the steampunk haunted house, the scenes became less about screaming and more about the beautiful (though ominous) steampunk aesthetic. Two white ghosts, slightly cute, frantically swept their house and then tore off their sheets — they were giant spiders! A woman’s torso in a glass box, her body wrapped in white gauze and one eye covered with a brass device. A disembodied hand held out theater tickets; when we snatched them, an accordion player in brass goggles cranked a haunting tune while a Lolita-esque girl danced. Our favorite was the vintage theater: frozen Victorian mannequins and girls in toxic masks crawling barefoot over the seats; the stage illuminated a 1920s man on a clanging mad scientist bicycle while two undead ballerinas draped themselves over the stage. In the last nightmare, a red-haired woman sang and undulated her long, spindly metal legs. While we were distracted, a group of undead children crawled out from under a gate and surrounded us, closer, closer…

It wasn’t quite Halloween — but do I ever need an excuse to dress up? My scarred makeup is inspired by Sally, the heroine from Nightmare Before Christmas. (I was dying to see the movie in 3D but missed it by a day…). My sweater is Black Peace Now from Closet Child. The ridiculous silver and black witch’s hat is from the Philadelphia Kimmel Center gift shop. It was one of those things that I simply had to own. When you squeeze the bat that dangles from the tip, it emits spooky music! (Oooo-eeee-oooo-eee-oooo…)

Don’t forget to tell me your dream theme cafe to win an autographed Tokyo Theme Restaurants book. What do you think of the newly-released extended Alice in Wonderland trailer? I think I’m more excited for the Tim Burton retrospective at the New York MoMA, which opens November 22.

Song of the Day #234: Despair – Dance of The Murder (A Japanese underground goth/electro band heartily recommended by Kanae.)

1. Posted November 9, 2009 at 5:55 am | Permalink

I've always been fasinated with steampunk fashion ^^

2. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I’ve always been fasinated with steampunk fashion ^^

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Same… I’ve now become friends with more people into it. Stay tuned for photos from a Steampunk Halloween party!

3. Posted November 9, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

wow that haunted house thingy sounds amazing! (0 o 0) so that was all…clockwork & gears? no people dressed up? or projections? i can't begin to imagine….but sounds brilliant, i'd want to see that for myself! ! !

4. Posted November 9, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

wow sounds very interesting

5. Posted November 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

…..That is the most badass haunted house I've ever heard of and now I wanna go D:
    Btw, you don't need an excuse to dress up. It's just fun <— use that as your excuse XD

6. Posted November 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Oh and as far as the new trailer is concerned, I think it looks awesome >D
    Although, I do think that the Cheshire Cat should've stayed pink and purple, and that Alice should be a tiny bit younger – more between the ages of 10-13

7. Posted November 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I really want to go see Alice in Wonderland, I didn't know they made a new extended trailer I'll check it out!

8. Posted November 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Love that witch . . .!!!

9. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Same… I've now become friends with more people into it. Stay tuned for photos from a Steampunk Halloween party!

10. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

There were people dressed up in Steampunk Scary fashion who spooked us. Tons of awesome lighting effects… it was fun!

11. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Oy… I think with all the whispering about the relationship between Lewis Carroll and Alice, they thought it'd be wiser to make her older! ;)
    I think Yukiro should be the Cheshire Cat :)

12. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Yeah! I have seen all of Burton's films, I think.

13. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Heee hee, when I saw the hat I simply had to have it. Even though it was hard to carry around!

14. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Freakin awesome, I love steam punk, Mawr ;P

15. Posted November 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

<3 <3 <3

16. Posted November 9, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

That…was so amazing… 0____0

17. Posted November 9, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

That…was so amazing… 0____0

18. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

wow that haunted house thingy sounds amazing! (0 o 0) so that was all…clockwork & gears? no people dressed up? or projections? i can’t begin to imagine….but sounds brilliant, i’d want to see that for myself! ! !

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

19. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

wow sounds very interesting

20. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

…..That is the most badass haunted house I’ve ever heard of and now I wanna go D:
    Btw, you don’t need an excuse to dress up. It’s just fun <— use that as your excuse XD

21. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Oh and as far as the new trailer is concerned, I think it looks awesome >D
    Although, I do think that the Cheshire Cat should’ve stayed pink and purple, and that Alice should be a tiny bit younger – more between the ages of 10-13

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Oy… I think with all the whispering about the relationship between Lewis Carroll and Alice, they thought it’d be wiser to make her older! ;)
      I think Yukiro should be the Cheshire Cat :)

• Posted November 10, 2009 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Eh >_> People need to get their minds out of the gutter! D: She’s just a little girl… grawrg… oh well but still, =P

22. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

I really want to go see Alice in Wonderland, I didn’t know they made a new extended trailer I’ll check it out!

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Yeah! I have seen all of Burton’s films, I think.

23. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Love that witch . . .!!!

• Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

24. Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Freakin awesome, I love steam punk, Mawr ;P

25. Posted November 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

That…was so amazing… 0____0

26. Posted November 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

That…was so amazing… 0____0

27. Posted November 9, 2009 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Eh >_> People need to get their minds out of the gutter! D: She's just a little girl… grawrg… oh well but still, =P

28. Posted November 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

I wish I were there, I adore steampunk and there isn't much of a scene where I live.

29. Posted November 9, 2009 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

The party looks worthy of the super atomic rocket age.

30. Posted November 10, 2009 at 4:28 am | Permalink

I wish I were there, I adore steampunk and there isn’t much of a scene where I live.

31. Posted November 10, 2009 at 5:42 am | Permalink

The party looks worthy of the super atomic rocket age.

• Posted November 11, 2009 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Definitely! All we need now is a Klaus Nomi new wave martian party!

32. Posted November 10, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Definitely! All we need now is a Klaus Nomi new wave martian party!

33. Posted November 10, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I so wish something like that would happen around here, but honestly, people here just wouldn't get it :sad sigh:

34. Posted November 11, 2009 at 4:58 am | Permalink

I so wish something like that would happen around here, but honestly, people here just wouldn’t get it :sad sigh:

35. Posted November 11, 2009 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Definitely! All we need now is a Klaus Nomi new wave martian party!

36. Posted November 11, 2009 at 4:58 am | Permalink